Sunday 3 July 2011

WHAT I SAID TO PRESIDENT OBAMA

Members of Council of State, Members of Parliament, Ministers and other high profile Ghanaians, including yours truly act as groupies for President Obama.  Yep, thats me in the purple headgear, choking a former Minister of Culture whilst reaching out for Obama.  What a picture!  LOL.

I was in London, watching soon to be President Obama on TV when I said to my sister, “He will become President and visit Ghana.  I will meet him.”   

Fast forward to July 2009 and my prophetic words rang true.  

Indeed Obama was not only President of America but he was due in Ghana.  As soon as I heard the news, I went to the Ministry of Information to apply for a press pass.  “Don’t worry Blakofe.  We know you.  You will get your pass.”  With these words, I walked around with a self satisfied inner knowledge.  So imagine my shock and horror when I went for my press pass only to be informed the “Americans” had accredited their own choiceof media and I was not on the list.  What?   How could that be?  In Ghana?  Who were these Americans to decide who does what in Ghana?  I was upset.   And I was not going to let any old American stop me from meeting President Obama in Ghana.  With this in mind, I placed calls to those that matter and within a few hours, my invitation to hear President Obama speak at Parliament arrived.  Now that’s what I’m talking about.  This was so much better than any press pass.

So D-Day arrived.  Dressed up in one of my favourite kaba and slits I made my way to Accra’s International Conference Centre to hear President Obama speak to Africa.  I was not disappointed.   The man has charisma and is a great public speaker.  After his speech he walked down, shaking hands with those in the front rows.  I could not resist.  I made my way down from my 11th row seat and stood in front.  Guess what happened?  President Obama stopped in front of me and shook my hand.  I said “I love you.”   Yep, those were the only words that came out of my mouth.  He laughed.  A deep throated sincere laugh as he looked into my eyes.  Then he moved on down to the next person.  After  awhile, he came back, stood in front of me again and took my hand again.  This time, I said “I love Michelle too.  I love all your family.”  Again he laughed, making direct eye contact with me.

I had so much I wanted to say, but hey, at the time, I guess these were just the reflections of an ordinary African Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment